[GSBN] Can bale buildings be air tight?- How to ventilate

Graeme North graeme at ecodesign.co.nz
Wed Mar 20 04:34:07 UTC 2013

Thanks Derek - I do work on the assumption that waking up alive beats the alternative but yes, I recognise that there are prejudices and suppositions involved there - ones I don't intend to apologise for.

And indeed there are instances where highly insulated and air-sealed surroundings have killed.  Think of the tragedy when people - often kids -  get trapped inside an old fridge or freezer.  Not quite a house I agree, but some houses seem to be heading in that direction.  The slang term for polystyrene clad houses here is "chilly bin" houses. ("Chilly bins" are those handy portable polystyrene containers we use to keep picnic stuff cold in).  When these houses incorporate air-sealed windows and doors, have very limited air changes, and are full of toxic materials and furnishings, they give a rather unhealthy environment.
I do agree that energy use needs careful attention, very much so, but also our ability to interact with our natural environment needs careful conservation. I for one, do not wish to inhabit some kind  of perfectly controlled machine, one that used to be called a house, that delivers perfectly homogenised living conditions 24 hours a day.   Variation in temperature and humidity is perfectly acceptable within quite a range, as we all know. Moderating the extremes does make for better comfort, and health, and its what we aim for I hope. Some technology can be appropriate here, especially if it is  appropriate technology,  but we do not need every room in an oversized, overstuffed, house to be a consistent 21deg C.   There seems to be a growing fear of the outdoors and all the dangers that lurk therein.  We live on a spaceship called Earth, and not on a rocket to Mars.

Yes I agree that unsafe and unsanitary housing adversely affects far too many people, and certainly contributes to some avoidable illnesses.
How to improve this situation without costing the earth is an interesting topic that exercises many of us, and as Derek says, the solutions will require knowledge, understanding  and attention to details.  Hence the rich value of these discussions, and the value of this network.

But I also think that mental approach has a large part to play. For my money, sustainability is an "attitude" that precedes anything else.  What I don't like is a resource-rich approach that mimics, far too much for my liking, the notion that if something isn't working, then you are not throwing enough technology (read "brute force") at it.
And there is always Jevon's Paradox to come into play, just when you think you are on to something.

Cheers

Graeme