[GSBN] Can bale buildings be air tight?- How to ventilate discussion

Caroline Meyer White hojtpaastraa at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 12:40:20 UTC 2013

Hi there on the other side of the pond. (Is that a general North
Americanexpression, or just my grandmother?)

In Denmark, a company is selling a "ventilation window". I attached their
flyer, it has some drawings, though in Danish) It is developed from an old
Russian type of window, where you have two glass panes with space in
between - like 3-4 inches. The interior pane is a well insulated double
pane, and I believe that the exterior is only a single layer pane. The
frame is engineered, both being a very high quality wood for windows, but
also with detailing breaking thermal bridges. Now the secret about it, (not
kept) is a vent with a phase changing (I believe oil substance) at the top
and bottom. These vents do not have any energy supply, but allow air to
flow in between the panes FROM the out side, entering at the bottom, when
heat is required in the building. The air is pre-heated between the panes
and reach a temperature of average 10 Celsius above what it was before it
entered - heated by the sun hitting the outer pane and the heat loss going
through the inner pane.
In summer the flow goes the other way, and the window helps cool down the
building. The Technical University of Denmark has made some calculations
determining that a window of the standard size (around 1,2 m2) on average
of the four corners of the compass, contributes with 425 kWh / year - that
is the heat gain, then comes the ventilation supply besides that.

We do not have air tightness tests on SB buildings in Denmark yet. But this
summer we are building a large residential home with these windows and I am
very eager to see, if they will be sufficient to take care of the
ventilation demand, as I don't know the air stream I haven't been able to
calculate it.

Cheers
Caroline