[GSBN] Can bale buildings be air tight?

Chris Magwood chris at endeavourcentre.org
Mon Mar 4 12:15:57 UTC 2013

Hi ej,

Our last test on the house was 0.88 (for hockey fans among you, you may
notice that our two scores are the jersey numbers of Wayne Gretzky and
Eric Lindros... coincidence?).

We'll do one more test when the whole thing is done, but I don't expect
to see much change.

I'm surprised that a reading of 5 to 6 is considered tight. Our initial
test was 3.5-ish, and that was a lot of cold air coming in from a lot of
places, and I can't imagine that our energy efficiency would have been
remarkable at that point.

Thanks for compiling all of this!

One of the things that I've found interesting in pursuing this level of
air tightness is how it can raise the quality of construction in
general. When planning for air tight construction, we definitely thought
through all our details in a more thorough way, and in inspecting each
element of construction for air tightness, we would often find unrelated
but important missed details or issues that were fixed before being
buried. Nothing that would have been disastrous, but it's good to go
over the building really well at a number of stages.

Chris

On 13-03-03 12:40 AM, ejgeorge at riseup.net wrote:

> A much delayed response on the airtightness topic, but one that helps
> answer Derek's pondering of how often a custom home hits 3.15 or
> better (at least custom straw bale homes in the Northeast US). Aaron
> is presenting at a "Low Energy Homes" Symposium next weekend, and was
> looking for similar information so I went through some straw bale
> blower door test results gathered  by various members (Jay Walsh,
> Jacob Deva Rascusin, and myself) of NBNE over the last 7 or so years
> and compared groups of data over time. I did discard numbers for a
> couple of structures that had major gaps at testing making their
> results of little value (one hadn't covered the opening of an
> uninstalled window, and one was an owner built home with numerous and
> volumnious unfinished details).
>
> The first blower door test I'm aware of in the Northeast US was in
> 2005. There are some older straw bale houses included (built between
> 1995-2005) but these were all tested well after construction (sometime
> in the late 2000's).
>
> Homes built 1995-2006 (6 total), had an average ACH50 of 6.12
> As far as I'm aware, these were all single blower door tests, most
> done well after completion. I believe all but one met US Energy Star
> rating for the time (<.5 ACHnat).
>
> Homes built 2006-2007 (8 total), had an average ACH50 of 4.71
> Most of these were single tests again, but now done near or at
> completion. There was a growing awareness of the importance of
> air-sealing by this time and various methods attempted to mitigate
> obvious leakage areas. Many of these homes may have had additional air
> sealing done after their test, but other than one built in PA by a
> home performance company (Envinity) I don't know if any did a second
> test (Envinity's final result was 3.32). I believe all of these homes
> met the US Energy Star rating.
>
> Homes built 2008-2009 (6 total), had an average ACH50 of 3.91
> Again most were single tests done at/near completion. The tightest was
> a load-bearing home built by Ben Simpson with an ACH50 of 2.0.
>
> Homes built 2010-2011 (3 total), had an average ACH50 of 3.24
> Still mostly single tests done near/at completion. Of interest, a
> GreenBuildingAdvisor article written in 2010 quoted: "ACH50 of 5 to 6
> is considered tight", which I guess makes these homes "very tight"
> though not quite "super tight" like Passive House or Canadian R-2000
> requirements.
>
> And that brings us to 2012-2013. The only two houses I have data on so
> far is yours (3.15) and Aaron's latest (2.27). Which continues the
> downward trend to an average of 2.71 ACH50. Aaron did not bother to do
> a final test, but you said you got .99 on your second. Curious to hear
> your final numbers. I'm also cc'ing to the NBNE list since I'm sure
> more of them have numbers from last year to share and I know some of
> the Vermonters have been gunning for PH too...
>
> All for now,

> [...]

Chris Magwood
Director, Endeavour Centre
www.endeavourcentre.org