[GSBN] Fwd: Project - Mini Family Home

Tim Owen-Kennedy timok33 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 08:11:21 UTC 2013

Thanks so much Lars and others,

There are some really great things happening in the tiny house world.
Unfortunately some of it seems to be more interested in the smallest
possible footprint. We are currently building a 28sq meter garden shed and
guest house, and we are about to finish a 120sq meter house that can sleep
up to 21. A friend is building a tiny house at our shop and will hopefully
teach a course in it next year as well. I'm loving fitting more functions
into less space but I've shied away from the tiny houses until now because
I hadn't found a wall and roof system that I wanted to go into production
with. But I think I've got something worth trying in a light frame wall
with spray in lightweight structural insulation (mostly straw and rice
hulls). Has anyone tried the compressed straw panels (like Stramit) for
exterior walls? does anyone believe the R value of compressed straw as
published?. Has anyone tried anything similar? Has anyone tried driving
natural finishes down a dirt road with any success?

Feel free to message me privately and take this conversation away from
GSBN, I can see that this might be a stretch for this list. But I think
that finding better ways to use less stuff in less space helps promote
thick walled building systems when space is limited.

Still sad to have missed most of you in Colorado,

Tim

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Frank & Ingrid <strawbales at bigpond.com>wrote:

>   Hello everyone,
>
> we have a lovely example of a tiny strawbale cottage, 24 square metres
> big(small), a family of 4 lives in it – happily. Strawbale walls and first
> coat of render were done in a working bee with us and then the lady owners
> finished it. The blog http://pearlandelspeth.blogspot.com.au/search/label/strawbale
> building<http://pearlandelspeth.blogspot.com.au/search/label/strawbale%20building>tells their story and has lots of photos.
>
> And we build a 18 square metres plus loft studio in St Georges Basin,
> strawbale envelope with clay render, it’s on our website in the projects
> pages.
>
> Best wishes, Frank & Ingrid
>
> Yesterday-Today-Tomorrow, Strawbale Construction
> Ph: +61 (0) 2 44435282 Mobile: +61 (0) 408415806
> strawbales at bigpond.com
> www.strawtec.com.au

Tim Owen-Kennedy, Owner
Vital Systems, natural building & design
P O Box 751, Ukiah, CA 95482
www.vitalsystems.net
888.859.6336