[GSBN] 2 books gift: Vitruvius and Natural Glue

Derek Stearns Roff derek at unm.edu
Thu Feb 14 23:36:29 UTC 2013

Luckily, we don't face the challenges and concerns of building aircraft.  Glues are very diverse in their properties, and I suggest looking at the needs of the specific application, and the risks and advantages of the various options.  Urea-formaldehyde glue is one of the most widely used in the world.  I'm guessing that most of us on this list would prefer not to be associated in any way with the carcinogen formaldehyde.  There are many, many waterproof glues available, which might serve your purposes.

One thing to keep in mind, is that the standard tests for waterproof glues in the USA involve resistance to boiling.  I don't know if other countries use similar protocols, but I think it is unfortunate.  There are several very good, very waterproof glues, that can't stand boiling.  I'm forgetting the name right now, but one of them has been used for decades for boat building.  Boat builders answer the critics by saying, "When I start boiling my boats, I will stop using this glue."

Two of the criteria that are important to me are non-toxicity and working characteristics.  Working with cork, as Jorge mentions, might be a problem for glues with low viscosity.  If the glue is absorbed into the cork to a significant extent and makes it rigid as it sets, this would decrease the resiliency, which is usually a desired trait of cork.

An exquisite glue for woodworking is hide glue.  This glue has been used for hundreds of years, and is very non-toxic, in its basic recipe.  Some manufacturers introduce toxic ingredients.  This glue is neglected, because it is an old-time, natural material.  New synthetic chemical have to be better, right?  It also won't withstand boiling.  It is not considered waterproof, but a good grade of hide glue can take a lot of water and moderate heat without any damage.  The glue can be softened with steam, or very prolonged soaking in water.  I would have no fears mopping a floor made with hide glue.  I would be worried, if my floor were flooded for a week.  But this would destroy a wood floor, even if it had no glue.  Hide glue reaches its significant water resistance in a couple of weeks, rather than overnight.

I would try some experiments with hide glue.  Similar products, fish glue and rabbit glue might also serve.  Casein glue might be excellent for your purposes.  Some starch glues are very water resistant.

Marketing people have exaggerated the importance of glue strength.  Most glues have excellent strength when used with compatible materials.  Some people want a single glue that can be used on anything, but these glues are generally toxic, at least until they cure fully.  Better to choose a glue that is safer, easier to work with, and suits the chosen materials to be glued.  For example, hide glue used with wood is stronger than Gorilla Glue, a poly-urethane glue with various annoying problems and limitations, which has been marketed for years as "the strongest glue in the world".

Let us know about your tests and results.

Derek