[GSBN] Window Detailing Question

John Swearingen jswearingen at skillful-means.com
Mon Nov 26 23:41:38 UTC 2012

John,

Although on paper (or with paper) mounting the window to the outside is
easier, exposed vertical breaks in the plaster are still the most
vulnerable issues for a bale wall, because there isn't a layer of building
paper to flash behind.   My thought is that moving the window inside the
bale wall means that any water traveling down behind the stucco must make a
90 degree turn, from vertical to horizontal, which allows the opportunity
to intercept easily on the horizontal plane, with flashing, before it gets
to the window.  To me this seems easier to protect than a direct vertical
joint.

What do you think?  I can't stand  to think that Bob might be right about
this!

John