[GSBN] Strawbale Classroom in Cork Ireland (Fire Resistance) (+SB code)

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Thu Mar 15 20:24:24 UTC 2012

Tom -

First a note re: the second EBNet link Derek listed.  This is the repository
page for all supporting documentation for the proposed Strawbale
Construction chapter of  the International Building Code.  It includes the
2006 ASTM fire tests reports and the fire test video.  It also includes the
other documents that support the proposed SB code, as well as the proposed
chapter and appendix as published by ICC on March 13.  (note, ICC did not
include a few final revisions I requested, for example potentially allowing
baled materials other than the 5 cereal straws.  But I will pursue including
them in the longer review process.)

In addition to the excellent 2006 fire tests conducted by D. Eisenberg, B.
King, and B. Obregon of this list, there is the excellent 2004 German fire
test by FASBA and Dirk Scharmer (of this list).  Here is a summary of this
test by Dietmar Lorenz (of Dan Smith¹s office) from the Fall 2006 Last
Straw:

³A major step toward Code recognition was accomplished in February 2006 with
the General Approval (³Allgemeine bauaufsichtliche Zulassung² or AbZ) of
³Construction Straw Bales² as insulating infill within certain wall
assemblies. As part of the application the Fachverband Strohballenbau had to
show compliance with the following criteria:

1. Flammability:
In a standardized test straw passed as ³Normalentflammbar B2², i.e. it is
not considered an easily flammable material, but of normal or regular risk
regarding combustion and flame spread.

2. Fire Resistance:
An unplastered 18" wide bale wall was tested to achieve 30-minute fire
resistance (F-30), and 90-minute fire resistance (F-90) with 3 cm of earth
plaster on each side. A minimum of F-30 is required, except in single-family
residences with at least 5m of separation from adjacent structures. Fire
resistance is technically not part of the AbZ, but included as a general
prerequisite.²

You can go to www.fasba.de (click on English) and you can find a link to the
fire test (in German) and see a poster on SB Fire Resistance that gives a
good summary.

Martin