[GSBN] Plaster thoughts

Mark Jensen markj at redfeather.org
Sat Mar 3 10:44:05 UTC 2012

Hello et al,

I am in Kenya right now working on two straw bale buildings, stacking for
both Monday and Tuesday. I am struggling with plaster thoughts. I guess the
last plaster they did was clay, sand, cow dung, chopped straw, lime, cement
and water. Nobody knows the proportions but they had severe cracking, like
a dried up lake bed.

Now they want to do 1 1/2 bags of lime, 1/2 bag cement, 4 wheelbarrows of
sand, chopped straw and water. This seems like a recipe for disaster to me.
They are on a very short budget. I suggested harvesting clay and just doing
a earthen plaster, it's free other than some labor to harvest.

Any thoughts on the recipe above?

Your input would be appreciated.

Asante Sana, Thank you very much,

Mark