[GSBN] Update, question re: proposed SB code (hay bales)

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Mon Feb 13 17:19:03 UTC 2012

Thanks for your response, Martin.  I agree that it is useful in a code to mention items like hay explicitly, even if other parts of the code might cover them implicitly.  Well-chosen redundancy improves clarity and communication.  You have to deal with the realities of code creation, in ways that I can't even imagine.  My thoughts and hope for the code may be impractical or impossible, but I will offer them in case they are of use.

One of the things on my mind is the point others have raised, that harvesting the same cereal grain at different parts of its life cycle can have a significant effect on the durability of the bales.  The proposed language approves five cereal grains, with the hope that this limitation will increase the likelihood of using good building bales.  If the code doesn't mention the importance of how the time of harvest, in the growing cycle of the grain, affects the bales, then most of the code officials and owner-builders won't know about it.  So I would like to see that mentioned.  I think that RTs suggestion that any plant with provably similar performance should be usable has a deep truth, but if the burden of testing is on the individual owner or builder, then this amounts to a prohibition in most cases.  There would be no way for the average product to fund all the testing needed.

To the extent that the code will be a model for other countries and climates, a strict limitation to the 5 major cereal grains grown in the United States would be unfortunate.  If the code community could tolerate it, I think it would be good to say what we know, and avoid insisting that we know everything.  Including the five cereal grains as approved, when harvested properly, makes sense to me.  Including some additional plants that have been used with success, such as flax and hemp, also makes sense.  This second tier might require explicit recognition by the architect or engineer, and by the builder, that this choice has a little less data and experience to back it up.  The use of additional unnamed grains and grasses should be possible as local conditions and experience would recommend- that is, a recognition that local people will know more about local options than centralized codes ever can.  The bar for approval might need to be higher for these choices, but if this code is to have any value outside of industrialized US locations, then the bar can't be set at repeating all of the historical tests that have been done on wheat and rice bales.

I think my thoughts are pretty close to what Chris Magwood wrote.  It may be that the code creation environment won't be willing to tolerate this kind of thinking.  However, I hope the code can find a way to be inclusive in these ways.  If it can't, it won't be able to come close to serving as an International code, and it will be prohibiting and banning reasonable and effective approaches to building.

Thanks for all your work on these difficult questions,

Derelict

Derek Roff
derek at unm.edu

Smirk of the day:

Code official:  The short answer is "No".

Owner-Builder:  Well, what's the long answer?

Code official:  "NOOOOOOoooooooooooo!"