[GSBN] Update, question re: proposed SB code (hay bales)

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Thu Feb 9 02:41:39 UTC 2012

Hello John,

I cannot predict whether the a SB section in the IBC (used as the basis for
building codes for most of and mostly in the US) will have consequences for
codes in other countries.  I suspect it will, but it¹s impossible to know
how much (if at all).  No one I know of would be forcing it on Australia.
Also, to clear up what might be misunderstanding, much of the language in
the IBC (and the proposed SB chapter) is performance based.

The proposed SB chapter requires a ³registered design professional² to
provide an engineered design for any structural use of straw bale walls.
Next year I expect to submit a code proposal for the International
Residential Code that would allow prescriptive non-engineered structural use
of straw bale walls.

Re: wheat straw vs. rice straw, in California (and other places) we prefer
rice straw because it is more resistant to decay (though it is harder on
tools).  I know that rice straw is cut and baled from a live plant whereas
wheat straw is cut and baled from a dead plant, and so has a tendency to be
baled ³greener².  But I haven¹t seen rice bales with too high moisture
content as a function of that in these parts.

Thanks for your 2 bobs.

Martin