[GSBN] Update, question re: proposed SB code (hay bales)

John Glassford jacksflat at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 23:26:10 UTC 2012

Morning Martin

Thanks for all the hard work you are doing with this code.

Are you able to let us know if this proposed section to the SB
International Code in the USA will have any consequences for any other
country codes?  The Australian Building Codes Board has a performance based
building code for buildings in Australia.   I doubt that they would be in
the mood for change. As long as the material proposed in a build measures
up to their criteria that material can be used.

We always employ a structural engineer to certify all our straw bale
buildings in that they conform to the performance requirements of the
Building Code of Australia.  So far no worries.

Re rice straw bales, I do my best to avoid using them as they do behave
like hay bales or grass bales.  They are much finer in stalk diameter and
sometimes baled too green due to the way rice is grown.  We prefer wheat
straw at all times and anyway wheat is plentiful here and we have a large
straw baling contractor who puts away several thousand small wheat straw
bales every year for us.  Just my 2 bobs worth.

Thanks again for what you are doing.

Kind regards
John Glassford
Huff 'n' Puff Constructions