[GSBN] Question about SB insulation at foundation

kim thompson shipharbour at ns.sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 25 17:38:36 UTC 2012

Hello all,

As our experiment/s with in-floor SB in Ship Harbour were cited by Bruce it  follows that I should comment on where
those are at today.

Background: owner/built 2 storey load- bearing SB constructed in 1993. 25' x 30' interior. Home has
been in continuous use since it was built  with virtually no repairs. Two skylights were added and a new roof
is due - likely this year (looking at metal or reed options).

Infloor SB: the house sits on old telephone poles set 4' below grade/frost line. The back of the house is about 2' above grade
and the front is about 5' above grade. Several layers of newspaper are laid out between two - three layers of spruce board flooring.
Before the floor was laid 2-string  bales were ripped in half between the strings with a chainsaw. The resulting 9"x 14' x 34" bale lengths
were flipped "flat" onto a stretcher and carried to the floor and friction fit between the floor joists.  All well and good to here.

The problems I had resulted in trying to account for (possible) rising damp by attaching a sheet of 6 ml. poly to
the underside of the floor assembly .... and then by not adequately flashing  where the poly hit the perimeter joist - creating a perfect opportunity
for wind-driven rain to collect on the poly on the underside of the bales.

Once the problem was recognized (water collecting on the poly) it was mitigated by slashing the plastic and flashing the edges.
I will make a point of doing better forensics this summer to look again at what is going on under there. All that being said I think
there are good opportunities for using bales in floors that are above grade, if there is sufficient ventilation or other strategies to account for rising damp.
There is much to be said for building on piers/post.... and it is (I think) an under-utilized, lo-impact approach to current floor options.

The other insulation material we are very excited about here is wool. Currently 75% of the fleeces here in NS end up in the land fill!
 Such a waste. So many possibilities for small scale localized treatments.

All the best,

kim