[GSBN] Our new building project

Chris Magwood chris at chrismagwood.ca
Tue Jan 24 14:13:11 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I wanted to write in to let you all know about the first major project
we're undertaking with The Endeavour Centre, our new not-for-profit
sustainable building school here in Ontario. It's an urban infill
project in Peterborough, Ontario, and it's going to use prefabricated
straw bale walls as the exterior, load-bearing walls for a two-story
home. We're also designing and building to meet the Living Building
Challenge, so it's an all-round exciting project.

I'm sending it to this list for two reasons. First, it's a cool project
and I thought you might want to know. Secondly, and more importantly,
Endeavour was started in part because our program at Fleming College was
not able to accept students from outside Canada. We are keen to open our
program to students from around the world, and are hoping that you might
direct anybody you know who's looking for a well-rounded sustainable
building education to the program and this project.

I hope that's not too "promote-y" for this list!

The announcement for the project is below...

Cheers,

Chris

January 18, 2012

*/Canada's Greenest Home/ to Be Built by Students*

CGH image for release medium with text.jpgWhat does it take to build the
greenest, most sustainable home in Canada? That is what 20 students
enrolled in The Endeavour Centre's /Sustainable New Construction:
Building a New Future/ program will learn this summer, as they take on
the role of lead builders on a single family residence in downtown
Peterborough, Ontario.

Interest in green building has been increasing exponentially over the
past decade, but the training of new builders to design, contract and
build highly sustainable homes has not kept pace. The 5-month, full-time
certificate program offered at the not-for-profit Endeavour Centre is
one of the few offerings in the world that allow students a thorough,
hands-on opportunity to learn what goes into meeting and exceeding the
highest standards of green building.

The 2,000 square foot, two-story home will be built on an infill lot in
an older neighbourhood in central Peterborough. It will meet LEED
Platinum requirements and go beyond this high standard by attempting to
become the first Canadian home to fully meet the Living Building Challenge.

Chris Magwood, Executive Director of The Endeavour Centre, says the
Living Building Challenge is the most thorough sustainable building
standard in the world. "We're excited to be able to undertake the Living
Building Challenge," he says. "It represents the meeting of high ideals
with practical, achievable solutions that the whole staff at Endeavour
have always tried to realize."

When completed, the home will use a fraction of the energy of a
conventional home and have met stringent requirements for sustainable
building materials, indoor air quality and construction waste
management. "Simply put," says Magwood, "our goal with Canada's Greenest
Home is to make substantial improvements in every measurable aspect of
this home's performance, including net zero energy use, while keeping it
affordable, accessible and beautiful."

Students at Endeavour work with a team of instructors who are experts in
the use of natural building materials, renewable energy systems, water
collection and treatment, healthy finishes and all aspects creating a
truly green home. Students are

*/Canada's Greenest Home/ to Be Built by Students, cont'd*

on site each day throughout the construction and perform the majority of
the work on the home. In class, they learn the building science theory
and construction business know-how that will allow them to reproduce the
level of performance achieved on this project.

Their five month experience will include experience installing energy
efficient foundations, prefabricated straw bale walls, grid-tied
photovoltaics, solar hot water, rainwater collection, composting
toilets, natural paints and finishes and much more.

The home built by the students will be put on the market at the end of
the program, and proceeds from the sale of the home will help to offset
tuition costs. Privately funded with no government grants or public
assistance, Magwood hopes "that the sale of this house on the open
market will be an indication to other builders that there are buyers
hungry for this level of environmental performance in a new home purchase."

During construction, the students will contribute to the Canada's
Greenest Home blog, where they will document the complete construction
process online. Part of the educational component of the project will be
tracking and documenting the real environmental impacts of the
construction of this home, and making the findings public. This
transparency will make Canada's Greenest Home a unique project, with
clear environmental goals established at the onset of the building and
accurate accounting of how the finished house measures up to the targets.

"We hope to generate a lot of interest in Canada's Greenest Home,"
Magwood enthuses. "A lot of people think we're far from being able to
live lightly, and comfortably, on the planet. We'd like this project to
show that it's a goal well within reach."

The Canada's Greenest Home blog can be followed at
www.endeavourcentre.org <http://www.endeavourcentre.org>.

For more information, contact Chris Magwood at 705-876-0569 or
chris at endeavourcentre.org <mailto:chris at endeavourcentre.org>.

--
www.chrismagwood.ca
www.endeavourcentre.org