[GSBN] Question about SB insulation at foundation/ceiling

Chris Magwood chris at chrismagwood.ca
Tue Jan 24 16:54:31 UTC 2012

Hey Bruce,

What about "shredded plastic bags" in the form of used/discarded carpet?
There's a bunch of that long-lasting petroleum that's already been
processed, used and is about to insulate landfills around the world. I
know there are questions about the insulative value, but there has to be
some, and its a matter of figuring out how many layers are needed in a
particular building. I usually sandwich my used carpet with a poly
barrier above and below, figuring that moisture is the chief enemy of
r-value in this material. It's worked to keep the Madoc Arts Centre
building meeting its net zero energy targets since 2008, and we
calculated it as r-10 for five layers.

Wouldn't it be great if someone were to undertake some testing on this?...

Chris

www.chrismagwood.ca
www.endeavourcentre.org