[GSBN] Earthen Floors (resilience)

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Tue Jan 10 15:51:41 UTC 2012

Below is a forwarded message from Woof-Man (aka "Sleeps With Sled Dogs"
Sherwood Botsford" one of the earliest contributors to the old CREST SB
List).

re: Dancers

It might be useful to mention the technique of creating "sprung floors"
for wooden floor surfaces like those in gymnasia.

The "give" is not from the surface material (ie the hardwood) which you'll
agree isn't very resilient ... just have someone smack you with a baseball
bat or hockey stick if in doubt).

Also it might be worth mentioning the "barefoot running" phenomena that
seems to be popular these days amongst "joggers", most of which one notes,
are doing so in urban scenarios (ie pavement).

Don't ask me what's going on there. I stopped "jogging" decades ago and
prefer cycling (easier on the old knees).

The "finding comfort even when sleeping on the rock of the Canadian
Shield" which Woof-Man mentions:
Here in Southern Ontario we call it finding a spot with "bum holes" ...
hollows or indentations in the earth or rock which allow our bums to be at
a different level than the rest of our bodies.