[GSBN] health (ill) effects of earthen floors

RT Archilogic at yahoo.ca
Fri Jan 6 01:31:18 UTC 2012

(from the GSBN List which Wild Bill-Bob recently made more accessible to
the SB World so I won't bother providing the link to the GSBN List
archives)

On Thur, 5 Jan 2012 11:49:48 -0700 Derek Roff <derek at unm.edu> wrote:
Re: health (ill) effects of earthen floors

> It is quite clear that contact with feces is the main problem
[snip]

Unlike the Derelict, I haven't been thorough enough to read the articles
in question before commenting but that's never stopped me from yammering
on before.

And due to an increasingly sieve-like memory, I can't recall the specifics
of some missed-diagnosed soil-borne illnesses that were in the news here
in Ontario within the past few months.

What I do remember though is that the missed diagnoses happened because
such cases occur so rarely that it doesn't cross the minds of the doctors
to check for that specific cause.

Unfortunately, I don't recall much about the matter but I do know that it
is a bacterial infection that afflicts people who breathe air in the
vicinity of a particular type of freshly excavated soil (no faecal matter
involved) that has not seen daylight and the atmosphere for a long, long
time.

In an attempt to find details to jog my memory, I did a quick Google using

      "missed diagnoses severe illness bacteria from soil"

and some of the hits returned were:

         - CLOSTRIDIUM DIFFICILE TOXIN (aka "C. difficile ")
	- acute bacterial meningitis
	- Legionella waltersii

... and so on -- all pretty scary buggers that can in severe cases, result
in death of those afflicted.  ( I have vague recollections of perhaps
having seen "bacterial meningitis"in relation to the Ontario news stories
but I'll leave it to others with more of a stake in the issue to dig
deeper).

Me ? Despite Beel's best efforts, I never really became a big fan of
earthen floors for my locale.

One :

Earthen floors make a lot of sense in places the climate is such that
earth-coupling is a reasonable proposition. That is not the case in most,
if not all of Canada.

In order to use an earthen floor in this climate, it would be necessary to
de-couple it from the earth with at least R-20 worth of insulation
(assuming that the floor is at or near grade)

It would also be necessary to provide an effective strategy to prevent
soil-gas intrusion into the indoor air environment, something that is less
of a concern in climates where air-tight construction/super-insulation is
not essential.

The above almost relegate earthen floors to being not much more than a
cosmetic veneer to provide a pastiche of "natural" earth-connectedness.

Two:
I was stunned by the volume of oil that Beel told me was needed to
adequately "condition" soil mixes to rendered them serviceable as finished
surfaces (by Auntie Septic's North American standards of performance).  I
remember my Mom telling me that back in Olde China where human labour was
cheap, the floor guys simply pounded the $#!+ out of the earth to compact
it and called it a floor.

I found Beel's revelation to be disturbing given the horror stories about
woodworkers' linseed-oil-soaked finishing rags spontaneously combusting
... not to mention the potential for long-term pollution of interiors due
to the plentiful VOCs  that such large volumes of oil would necessarily
generate. Again, not so much of an issue in warmer climes where high air
change rates would be okay.

Three:

Drying of the oil treatment. I've found that when treating timbers with
linseed oil, it is best done during the heat of summer with the timbers
outside in full sun and exposed to breezes. To do otherwise either results
in insufficient depth of penetration of oil (ie not enough oil applied to
do much good) ... or incomplete polymerisation of the oil resulting in a
surface that remains tacky and prone to bleeding for a long, long time ...
and over that period, being a magnet for air-borne crud and subsequent
microbial activity within the accumulated crud -- not the stuff of healthy
interiors, besides looking like hell.

I suspect that I could come up with several more numbers but I'll quit at
Three.

There are of course the other high embodied-energy stabilisers like
Portland cement and lime that one could use but given the mix ratios one
would need in order for the stabilisers to be effective , one does wonder
what an environmental impact analysis would reveal when compared to using
the same amount of cement to make a concrete mix.

Given the much smaller particle size of an earthen floor mix, my guess is
that the cement would be used more effectively (from a
performance/durability perspective) in making a concrete mix.

Animal blood, faeces, plant starches all have their own issues too.

But one then wonders, why not forget about trying to make the earthen
floor a finished surface  and thereby forego all of the sometimes-nasty
stabilisers and simply use the earthen floor as a substrate for a
baked-hard earthen mix (ie clay tile) or stone ?

An advantage of such finishes (aside from the obvious) is that they have
the potential to be lifted and re-used when it comes time to deconstruct
the building whereas a stabilised earthen mix is soil that has been imbued
with so much stuff that it would be useless for trying to grow anything
in. That ability to be re-used would help to amortise their higher
embodied-energy over a longer period of time, thereby minimising their
environmental impact.

And speaking of Wild Bill-Bob Christensen ...

How about thinking about breaking up the GSBN digest into chunks not
exceeding 30 kb in length ?  ie On those rare occasions when there is
unusually heavy traffic (like  Vol. #10, issue #3) 2 pieces of mail might
be easier to sort through rather than one 64 kb-long mutha.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom