[GSBN] SB in India

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Mon Dec 5 16:52:50 UTC 2011

Rikki,

I looked into this a year ago and could find no SB buildings in India.
However, the first (and only?) straw bale building in Sri Lanka was
completed in 2005.  See
http://www.thearchitect.lk/2009/10/a-house-of-straw-2/ for a descriptive
article and http://sustainablesources.com/GSBNarchives/msg02309.html for a
string of GSBN e-mails about the project.  The lead proponents of the
project made a presentation at the 2006 ISBBC in Ontario, Canada.

John¹s advice about avoiding straw building in monsoon climates is the
conventional wisdom, but I think strawbale can work in tropical climates
(including those with monsoons), albeit with additional challenges.  Knowing
the 6-year performance of the Sri Lanka building would be helpful (most if
not all of Sri Lanka is tropical and subject to monsoon rains).  Generally
that building was exceedingly well-constructed and engineered (I think
over-engineered).

This tropical climate discussion occurred when Andy Mueller and I were
considering strawbale in Haiti (tropical climate, no monsoon rains, but
subject to hurricanes annually).  Based on the first building we are largely
convinced of its viability in Haiti and similar climates, but will monitor
it over a longer time period, as it hasn¹t endured a hurricane yet.  Keeping
the bales dry during production, storage, and construction was more
challenging than ³usual², but doable.  The 29 moisture sensors in the walls
are reporting good moisture content numbers.

But the other large question regarding SB in India is, where in India is
this strawbale project being considered?  India has many climates, including
arid ones, and mountainous ones like northern Pakistan where PAKSBAB¹s work
has proven so successful.  Also, in addition to climate, availability of
straw is important.

One side note.  When I revisited the Sri Lanka project, I noticed the
manually made bales were encased in welded wire mesh on four sides (not the
ends) instead of (or in addition to?) being tied with strings.  Probably
more material and labor intensive than the conventional method of applying
mesh (when used) after bales are stacked.  It seems to have more cons
(discontinuity of mesh across the wall face, cost (?), mesh too close to
straw (?)) than pros (incredible through-ties, mesh already in-place) but
it¹s an interesting idea I¹ve never seen elsewhere.

Martin