[GSBN] SB in India

John Swearingen jswearingen at skillful-means.com
Mon Dec 5 02:39:28 UTC 2011

Rikki,

The only climates where I would not recommend straw building are those with
a serious monsoon season.  Monsoon brings on the worst conditions for
straw--ambient moisture is quite high AND it's also very warm.  Having
watched a friends expensive leather luggage disintegrate in the space of a
month was a very potent lesson.

John

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Rikki Nitzkin
<rikkinitzkin at earthlink.net>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have had a request from a woman about building a SB 1st aid center in
> India. Does anyone know of any straw buildings in India (other than the
> tiny hut André made)?
>
> or legal issues for building with straw there?
>
> I have suggested to the woman that it may be more interesting to build
> with Cob or Earthbags, if the area she is looking to build in does not get
> cold in the winter...
>
> Anyone interested in collaborating with this project or financing it can
> get in touch with me off-list and I will send her the information. I do not
> know her personally, but she says she is working with an Asociation called
> "Alzahara"
>
> thanks,
>     Rikki Jennifer Nitzkin
> rikkinitzkin at earthlink.net
> www.rikkinitzkin.wordpress.com
> 0034 657 33 51 62
> Aulás, Lleida
>
> "Nunca puedes cambiar las cosas luchando contra la realidad existente.
> Para cambiar algo, hay que construir un nuevo modelo que hace obsoleto al
> actual." Buckminster Fuller

John Swearingen
Skillful Means Design & Construction
2550 9th Street   Suite 209A