[GSBN] CMHC Straw Light Clay Report (was Light Straw fire test?), and Codes

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Sat Nov 12 13:55:03 UTC 2011

It's great to have this report.  I wonder if others share my concern about the thermal conductivity figures.  Samples A3 and B3 differ in density by 5%, while their R-values differ by 110%, with the slightly higher density sample having the higher R-value.  The U-values vary by 119%, which may indicate rounding error.  Other samples also show variation large variation in thermal conductivity.  We always need more and better testing for everything, but this level of variation is a bit oversized to use as a basis for code standards, it seems to me.  Of course, we could do what the drug companies do, and just discard the inconvenient data.  I'm glad that didn't happen in this report.

Derelict

Derek Roff
derek at unm.edu