[GSBN] CMHC Straw Light Clay Report (was Light Straw fire test?), and Codes

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Sat Nov 12 06:28:33 UTC 2011

Thanks David for the link.

A note of clarification.  Although the subject line was initially ³Light
Straw Fire Test², the Research Report is about straw light clay in general.
This includes issues of thermal resistance, vapor permeability, moisture
storage, compression, settling, density, and fire.  I believe it is the best
document available regarding the technical aspects of straw light clay (also
known as light straw clay, light clay, clay-straw, clay-fiber, straw-clay).
It may be the only document.  If anyone knows of another that examines the
technical aspects of this system of construction please let me know.

I bring this up in the context of straw-clay and building codes.  Last week
I spoke with Paula Baker-Laporte, an architect and leading practitioner
(along with her husband and builder Robert Laporte) of ³light clay²
construction in the US.  In 2010 I reworked with Paula the New Mexico Clay
Straw Guidelines, and she submitted them for inclusion in the IGCC.
Unfortunately they didn¹t make the first hurdle.  What did happen was that
Paula submitted the Guidelines to the City of Portland, Oregon where they
were codified in February 2011.  She went on to propose the guidelines to
the State of Oregon, where they are being considered for inclusion in its
state building code (Oregon is also one of only three US states with a
statewide straw bale building code).

Paula and I agreed Wednesday that we will submit a further developed version
of the guidelines, with as much supporting documentation as possible, for
inclusion in the International Building Code.  Because it is a
non-structural system, we anticipate less resistance than I expect for straw
bale.  Although I¹m sure insulation manufacturers will be out in force.

This brings me to my last point that I will continue in a subsequent e-mail
. . . . .

Martin Hammer