[GSBN] Hand Compressed bales

Andy Horn andy at ecodesignarchitects.co.za
Fri Nov 11 06:48:19 UTC 2011

Hi Derek

Thanks for the lead on the jacks.

Please see Habib's response about them..and a warning about its dangers,
which I have cut and pasted below.

Has this been your experience, or is he talking about a different one?

Not sure why he is not on the GSBN listing?

Thanks

Andy

Hello Andy:

There were two possible sites overseas where the Tillers International hand
baler may have been useful. In both instances the projects never
materialized so I did not get a chance to build one. If more compression is
needed, the frame can be strengthened and a long pipe handle extension or
"snipe" can improve leverage and bale density.

The truck jack mentioned is affectionately known in western Canada as a
"Jack-All". It is useful to lift all manner of loads, just be careful the
locking pins are clean and in good repair. If not, they can slip under load
and swing the pipe handle swiftly at your head (anywhere else the damn thing
would have killed me.)

All the best,

Habib

SUSTAINABLEWORKS