[GSBN] steel clad barn and straw bales

John Straube jfstraub at uwaterloo.ca
Sat Oct 8 00:37:23 UTC 2011

I am with Tom: the ideal construction is to provide an earth plastered SB with a 1" airspace and then the metal cladding.  The rain control would also be excellent.
In your case, building from the inside with a pre-existing metal clad barn, I am not sure how to do this.

Condensation is very likely in a UK climate if there is even a little interior humidity and the bales are placed tight against the cladding.  In storage barns (no interior moisture generation), bales are often placed close to metal cladding, usually there is a 2 to 10 cm space, but sometimes they touch.  I have only seen rot in these situations when interior humidity (livestock) where added to the inside.

As a minimum I would leave an air space.  however, if at all possible, dipping bales in a clay slip before laying up with a 3 or 5 cm air space and interior plaster may be the best you  can achieve. I would be careful to provide screens at the bottom to resist the entry of animals.