[GSBN] Mycotoxins

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Thu Mar 24 15:41:14 UTC 2011

I don't know where the architect might have gotten his ideas, but they
seem in line with two fairly widespread problems in the modern world:
fear of nature and anti-holistic thinking.  It is sad that so many
people feel that the natural world is dangerous- the world in which
humans evolved, and in which almost all species in the world still
thrive.   Meanwhile, new synthetic materials, which have undergone
little or no long-term testing, are considered safe.

This view persists, in spite of two safety-critical observations:  1)
Large numbers of approved products are subsequently found to be
dangerous.  2)   Children who are over-protected from exposure to
natural world, including viruses, bacteria, and fungi, end up less safe
and less healthy than children who have more normal contact with the
natural world.  Martin mentioned the importance of developing the
immune system.

The best research method is a very large-scale study conducted over a
long time period.  We have hundreds of generations of evidence that
humans thrive through interaction with natural materials, and we have
good information on those relatively few interactions that are
dangerous to us.  The worst "research" is that based on an anecdote or
two.  Yet anecdotes are very convincing to people, for various reasons.

Looking at the last five hundred years, for which written records a
fairly common, I think it is clear that farmers and foresters are
generally much healthier than city dwellers (although they suffer from
many physical accidents, such as having a horse or tree fall on them).

These observations are unlikely to convince this architect, who doesn't
seem to be in touch with either nature nor research.  But it might be
of some use to the young couple, who might be better served by choosing
a different architect.  If the couple is building on a family farm,
they are probably much more comfortable with and knowledgeable about
the living world than their current architect.

Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100