[GSBN] The Straw Stuff

MARK SCHUENEMAN huffnpuff at q.com
Fri Mar 11 00:27:58 UTC 2011

One more thought to this subject;

I tried stuffing as you mentioned with slip soaked loose straw only to find that we got the straw to wet and as mentioned and before any drying there was ample mold. The three good things were that it was very compacted and dense when dry, the fire danger was reduced and there were plenty of sprouts (not sure what kind) to shave off the wall for the turkey sandwiches at lunch. But what it did for condensation on the windows in the winter, as it took almost a month to dry, was prohibitive to pursuing that way. So I tried stuffing some dry straw only and I just couldn't get that straw to keep from bouncing and not compacting, plus, dealing with the dust while stuffing was another issue. The solution was to mix buckets of slip and set aside. Then fill the paddle mixer with about 1/2 bale of dry loose straw and drizzle about 1 to 1.5 gallons of clay rich slip (the consistency of milk) over the loose straw in the mixer and let it mix until an even color and consistently moist. We'd then store that mix of light clay straw in a tarp, along with subsequent loads until there was enough to start stuffing. We'd let that tarp sit for a bit to pre-dry, mixing by hand occasionally, and get a bit sticky (french dip style)...then stuff. The slip merely took the golden color out of the straw, wet it just enough to keep the 'dust' down as we stuffed, compacted nicely, dried stiff and it all dried relatively quickly once in the wall. We then had to buy/pick lettuce for the sandwiches for lunch but the windows appreciated that.

This mix works too for stuffing pallets, ala Alfred Von Bachmayer scabbed together pallets for interior walls. We added masonry sand at the last minute before stuffing for mass/bulk in later stuffings.   This seemed to help dry quicker and can't help but think that it helped provide more mass too.

Mark 'Colorado Dip' Schueneman