[GSBN] The Straw Stuff

forum at lamaisonenpaille.com forum at lamaisonenpaille.com
Tue Mar 8 19:15:07 UTC 2011

For the same reason as Chris (slow drying of straw-clay that I had put
in place) I have I experimented something last summer that is a little
similar to Chris' 'Straw Stuff'. Its purpouse is to insulate, from the
inside, a stone wall in my new 200 year old home. I don't remember if I
told you allready that Coralie and I are splitting up and selling our SB
house next week; time to move on...

I placed 3x4cm uprights spaced every 50cm and some 20 cm away from the 2
meter high wall. Then  60cm high boards are screwed on and the cavity
filled, just like straw-clay, but with loose straw. On that a 3x4cm
batten was layed and a little higher we fixed a second batten.
We compressed the straw with carjacks placed between the 2 battens. Once
we achieved serious resistance from the straw we took of the boards,
fixed the lower batten (by screwing it unto the uprights), and took away
the upper batten. Then the boards got fixed again (but higher) and the
whole thing was repeated about 7 times. With the ceiling already there,
it was impossible to go all the way up to the top of the wall.
The very sientific way of veryfing the obtained density was 'pushing on
it with my hands' (feels just like a sturdy bale).
And the limit of compression we decided on was that we didn't like the
uprights to buldge (the stone wall on the other side obviously didn't).
We shaved the straw, and earth plasered it. A section that has not yet
been plastered since october has not bulged. I was afraid it might.
I intend to fill the top with salvaged woodfiber insulation mats,
plaster what hasn't yet been covered, place an air barrier paper, more
uprights and make it all look good with wooded siding. I could also just
plaster it all (and cover the battens) but all the other walls are
plasterd and I also like wood.

I know there might be a risk of condensation against the (cold) stone
wall, but just wanted to try it anyway (only one way to be sure eh?).
Figuring our climate is not very rude, the wall is south facing and made
of pourous limestone/earth mortar I figured I might get away with it and
this facade is simply too good looking to be insulated from the outside.

So far I'm happy with the result but I found the technique to slow to be
able to work in a commercial context and would not dare advice it to
anyone because of the potential condensation on the cold stone wall.

I'm surprised Chis, that you managed to keep a good density just by
pushing it in by hand. So far I have not been able to get loose straw to
stay under compression without something holding it down constantly.
Chris, is the lath holding it in place?

I'm not really worried about fire (my kids are too young to smoke) but
maybe I should (I have dutch friends).
Yet in that case, so should all those who use their bales on edge no?
And when I work with bales on edge, and cut the twines while shaving the
walls, to the great deception of my workshop participants, nothing
happens...

Andre - not bulging an inch - de Bouter