[GSBN] Emerald update (GSBN Digest, Vol 33, Issue 17)

Chris Newton chris at newtonhouse.info
Sat Feb 5 07:16:47 UTC 2011

Thanks guys
Thanks Guys

I had  a look at an informative site last night on what the Aussies are doing with perlite and vermiculite  http://www.australianperlite.com/perlite-concrete.htm. Great products – though if you look at the EE – all that vermiculite has to be imported from the Kiwi’s and the perlite from another couple of thousand KMs south.
Emerald is beyond the black stump. Once upon a time they had a lot of precious stones. Now they have a big dam with lots of cotton, wheat, oranges. (all gone with the the big wet and not durable for the future). The town is thriving between the cotton and coal industry. Everything gets trained in/out. Brisbane is 1000km from there.

I guess the biggest issue for us are
1..  we need a product that will withstand the flood conditions that this building has just been through. ie bottom bales in water for 3 days, second bales in water for 1 day. As much as all us wished to be able to use straw again, the evidence from monitoring the walls for 1 month was overwhelming. The straw was rotting.

2..  our stake holders included local council, Qld Tourism, insurer, engineer, builder etc we needed to give them the confidence that the solution was long term / climate change friendly.

3.. It needs to be able to do the job the bottom 2 rows were doing – supporting the non load bearing walls, and its render, insulation, aesthetics.

4... Then we looked at options that were achievable from an engineering point of view. Colin is standing behind me wanting to know how you pour this product into some framework 2 bales high while supporting the SB walls above? These are great option for ground up construction (along with those lovely mussel shells), but is going to be a bit of a brain teaser for restoration work. Though we open to here how if your miles ahead and were missing something obvious.

Colin tells me that it will be a bit of trial an error, that is why he will be on site with the builders from the go.

My understanding is that they are thinking of leaving the external wall of lime intact. A few extra expansion joints before work starts.
Working segment at a time.
Breaking some holes through the width of the wall using Lance’s coring piece.
Placing beams through these which will be supported by jacks.
Removal of straw below (still leaving that lime on the external surface)
Having the light weight blocks to work into this space will be beneficial – there are threaded rods at 900mm centres, some tie down wires, low window sills, doors etc to work around. The benefit of the super insulation EPS blocks is the fact that it is super light weight, cheap, engineered for the load, can take on a curved form where needed, and can be worked into this space in a timely manner.
Patch render, make finish good, go home.
We’re not worried about those little termites. We have them everywhere in Qld, doing what termites do. We construct to stop the problem at slab level – end of story.

Chris