[GSBN] windscreen

Jim Carfrae jim.carfrae at plymouth.ac.uk
Sat Jan 22 10:25:12 UTC 2011

As part of my research into the moisture performance of SB in a Temperate Maritime (Damp) Climate , I've monitored two structures where a direct comparison can be made between a plain lime rendered section of wall adjacent to a section of the same wall protected by a ventilated timber rainscreen.
(Plain lime wall = 3 x 12mm coats. Rainscreen = 1 x 12mmm scratch coat, 25mm vented void, permeable membrane, 25 mm vented void, vertical timber boarding with 5mm gaps)
In each case the average moisture content of the straw just behind the render was between 3% and 4% lower (typically 17% behind plain render, 13% behind rainscreen)
This is an apreciable difference, especially as this was not a particularly exposed site. If there was significant driving rain I would expect the difference to be higher.

To reinforce what John Straube said - It has to be vented top and bottom.

Jim (moist) Carfrae

Room 119, Reynolds Building
University of Plymouth
Drake Circus