[GSBN] windscreen

forum at lamaisonenpaille.com forum at lamaisonenpaille.com
Fri Jan 21 23:05:16 UTC 2011

Interesting topic. Last year I saw a presentation from a french sb
builder who uses 'compost fabric' (that one would pull over a compost
pile) to protect his stacks of bales on the build and, if I rember
correctly, he also uses it over his fresh plaster to have it protected
while it dries.
Another material I've heard of is used by farmers. On certain
structures, rather than building walls, they use screens that are open
to air movement with normal windspeeds but when the wind blows harder
they close up. I have no idea how esteaticly pleasing they can be.

Though I'm eagerly reading through the silanes and other 'miracle'
additives I agree with RT's worry for cracks (and the jonction between
plaster and protuding elements). I also wonder how long those products
last, how one (homeowner) would judge when it is time for a new coating
and how multiple coatings of who-knows-what aplied over the coming
decades would blend.
That's why I've come to consider plastered SB somewhat like mini-skirts:
Looks great, but offers little protection. I know for a fact that those
sturdy dutch girls still wear 'em in winter, but some of them suffer the
consequences.

Anyway, for some years I've pondered about the 'best' way to make a
cladded SB wall and came to the folowing concept (that I intend to build
this year): wood cladding (douglas fir), battens/vented airspace, AGEPAN
DWD* boards, strawbales (placed vertically and pushed tightly against
the boards), earth plaster. The posts (between the bales) would be
placed at 40cm on center.
What I wonder is: as these AGEPAN DWD boards have a sd value of 0,2 m,
would I get enough vapour barrier on the inside with a 5 cm straw-clay
plaster? The golden rule says that the outside should be 5 times more
open than the inside, but considering there is a vented rainscreen my
gut feeling (or rather my desire) suggests that it should work. Anyone
want to shoot this down (or confirm)?
*for those unfamiliar with these boards, they are structural and act as
a drainage plane.
http://debelux.ahk.de/fileadmin/ahk_debelux/AHK_Projekte/Praesentationen_Energieeffizienz/Glunz_AG_01.pdf

André - it's hip to be square - de Bouter
France (ex-dutch)