[GSBN] windscreen

John Swearingen jswearingen at skillful-means.com
Fri Jan 21 18:22:05 UTC 2011

Bob,

We installed a rain screen at Presentation Center that John and Dan Smith
worked out.  It went like this:  scratch coat and 1x3 battens, then lathing
and three coat plaster.

Although a green screen will weaken driving rain, which can penetrate
cracks, windows, etc., I think that the quantity and duration of a heavy
rain, regardless of wind strength, has to be considered.  If the plaster is
permeable, then at some point it becomes saturated.  That's why coatings
have an appeal.

John

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Bob Theis <bob at bobtheis.net> wrote:

> John Swearingen's comment about bending rainscreens brings up an
> interesting point I'd like clarified:  If the primary function of
> rainscreens is to break the force of the wind, then the "screen" needn't be
> shingled planks as we generally see, but any manner of screen with smallish
> openings set away from the wall behind, yes?
>
> If that's the case, is there any guidance regarding  how small the openings
> should be?
>
>  Yes, yes, it will depend on wind speed,  the thickness of the screen,  and
> variables I'd never imagine, but I'd be happy with an oversimplified
>  generality to guide evaluating screen material possibilities. If, for
> example, I want to make the screen a grill on which I grow vines, how dense
> would it have to be to work, absent the growies?
>
> ...and my team wants to know how to do the slam dunk home run John Straube
> mentions.
>

> On Jan 21, 2011, at 3:51 AM, John Straube wrote:
>
>  I like both mineral slicate paint (which usually has added water
>> repellents) and the slam dunk home run solution of adding a ventilated and
>> drained rainscreen cladding.
>> A less extreme solution that may work is a siloxane / silane blend which
>> is clear, penetrates into pores and makes the waterproof. Drying can happen
>> faster than with Xypex and thompson water seal (pore blockers, one with
>> mineral crystals the other with organic wax and gum).
>>
>> Sent from my BlackBerry®

John Swearingen
Skillful Means Design & Construction
2550 9th Street   Suite 209A