[GSBN] windscreen

Bob Theis bob at bobtheis.net
Fri Jan 21 18:12:19 UTC 2011

John Swearingen's comment about bending rainscreens brings up an
interesting point I'd like clarified:  If the primary function of
rainscreens is to break the force of the wind, then the "screen"
needn't be shingled planks as we generally see, but any manner of
screen with smallish openings set away from the wall behind, yes?

If that's the case, is there any guidance regarding  how small the
openings should be?

  Yes, yes, it will depend on wind speed,  the thickness of the
screen,  and variables I'd never imagine, but I'd be happy with an
oversimplified  generality to guide evaluating screen material
possibilities. If, for example, I want to make the screen a grill on
which I grow vines, how dense would it have to be to work, absent the
growies?

...and my team wants to know how to do the slam dunk home run John
Straube mentions.