[GSBN] Embodied energy figures

carolatkn at aol.com carolatkn at aol.com
Tue Jan 4 09:56:40 UTC 2011

Chris, I've heard that www.ecoinvent.ch have robust/reliable data - don't know if you can get it for free tho?
Carol

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Magwood <info at chrismagwood.ca>
To: (private, with public archives) Global Straw Building Network <GSBN at greenbuilder.com>
Sent: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 2:28
Subject: [GSBN] Embodied energy figures

Hey all,

I'm doing a bunch of research to help my students this spring, and I'm trying to compile some good embodied energy stats to give them some guidance around material choices and their environmental impacts. I know that EE doesn't give the whole picture by any means, but it's a good way to show them some comparisons and get them thinking.

I've seen some good charts from University of Bath in the UK and Victoria University in NZ, and a reference chart from the Canadian Architects Association (don't know where the numbers came from in that one). I've also found some research documents that look at EE in particular materials.

Does anybody have other recommendations for EE comparison charts?

Thanks!

Chris