[GSBN] Help us help in Haiti

Graeme North graeme at ecodesign.co.nz
Mon Jan 3 23:23:15 UTC 2011

Hi Bruce -

we have found the addition of cellulose fibre - ie used paper pulp - to be quite good for binding up silt in some clays and esp good for plaster- we get good increase in strength , durability,  and reduction of dustiness- its worth a try .

either newspaper or shredded office paper rolled around in a concrete mixer with lots of water for a while will mash it  - or mashing up in a bucket with water with a paint stirrer on the end of an electric drill is good - the pulp holds lots of water so then you get to hang it out to dry a but  - a sack is good for this

you may need to experiment with quantities but a good starting point is probably around one part clay/silt to around 1/4 - 1/3 part pulped paper - we have added even more sometimes.

Other than that public execution at a cross road always brings in  a good crowd

Graeme
Graeme North Architects
49 Matthew Road
RD1