[GSBN] Big News!!

Kelly Lerner klerner at one-world-design.com
Thu Aug 26 15:38:39 UTC 2010

Congratulations to all involved, especially Marty and David! I'm always so thankful for SB professionals tenacious enough to brave years of BIG bureaucracy. Their work benefits us all so much.

On the wall protection issues, I do favor mandating wall protection with some performance based language that allows for different climates (wind speed, rain, drying potential, temperature, etc) and exposures. To ignore the issue because it is too complicated, is almost like refusing to share our accumulated experience and thereby encouraging failures. As I saw in Mongolia, poor design and/or poor construction can forever taint a perfectly good building technique (there was a nasty fire in one building actually unrelated to the strawbale that never the less tainted strawbale construction).

In other news, I'm planning to be in Europe (Karlskrona, Sweden - my partner is in Grad school there) Jan-February and April-May 2010. If any of you bale-heads need a lecture on Strawbale in China or the US or any related topic just let me know. I'm looking for good reasons to travel all around. Cheers,

Kelly Lerner, Architect
One World Design Architecture
509-838-8812
www.one-world-design.com

Have you read Natural Remodeling for the Not-So-Green House? Available in Bookstores across the Universe.
www.naturalremodeling.com