[GSBN] Big News!!

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Sun Aug 22 01:36:00 UTC 2010

Hello friends on the GSBN,

My voice has been conspicuously absent on this subject, so I thought I would
weigh in.

First, thanks for the words of appreciation.  I was pleasantly surprised to
hear the news from David on Monday.  I think this strawbale code document is
very good, but there are a number of reasons I didn¹t think it would go
through to the next step.  I thought both the Earthen Materials proposal
(referencing the recently revised ASTM standard that Bruce, David in earlier
years, and others worked so hard on) and the Straw-Clay proposal I
co-authored with Paula Baker-Laporte, had better chances.  I might propose
them again in the upcoming Code Change Proposal phase (once IGCC committee
concerns are addressed).

Much blood, sweat, and a few tears have gone into this SB code since 2003,
when I began writing it at the request of the State of California (they
asked Bruce, Bruce asked me . . .).  I¹ve had very good input from others
along the way, including members of this list (David Eisenberg, Bruce King,
Dan Smith, Bob Theis, Tim Kennedy, John Swearingen, Bill Steen, Kelly
Lerner) (apology if I¹ve missed anyone), and others not on this list,
notably civil engineering professor Mark Aschheim.

Because it started as a California code, and because there are great SB
experts in northern CA where I live, the code might be a bit
California-centric (with particular attention to seismic issues).  However
I¹ve always wanted it to be broadly applicable and I welcome broader, global
input at this time.  I expect to propose adjustments during the next IGCC
review phase.  If it remains in the IGCC and goes the way codes often do,
some version of this might show up at your building official¹s door and then
your strawbale door in Australia, South Africa, or who knows where.  And
although I think there¹s much to like, I can almost guarantee you can find
something you don¹t like.  So . . .

If you want to see and comment on the proposed code you can ask me to e-mail
the proposed SB code (by itself) to you as a word document, and then e-mail
me your comments or send it back with ³track changes².  OR you can go to:
http://www.iccsafe.org/CS/IGCC/Pages/Comments0810.aspx , and download all
Public Comments under the ³Complete Document² subheading (Strawbale
Construction is Comment #5-136).  You can then e-mail your comments to me
(not to ICC).  I¹m also open to comments on #5-134 Straw-Clay, and #5-135
Earthen Materials.  If you want to understand the IGCC process and schedule,
you can go to:
http://www.iccsafe.org/cs/IGCC/Pages/PublicVersionDevelopment.aspx

In addition, I want to clarify that:

* Strawbale is not yet in the IGCC.  That¹s because it isn¹t finalized (and
SB could even be entirely removed).
* Even if included in the final version, the IGCC applies only to commercial
and high-rise residential, AND only in jurisdictions that adopt the IGCC.
So it would have limited application.

That said, this approval is still a very good thing.  And if it does make it
to the finish line of the IGCC, it would probably then migrate to the IBC in
the next code cycle, and then to a jurisdiction near you.  I even see the
possibility of jurisdictions adopting it or informally using it for all
occupancies, even before reaching the IBC.  John Swearingen¹s report of it
already producing ³instant results² for his project in Stanislaus County
supports that notion, and is both welcome and frightening.

Finally, I want to acknowledge David Eisenberg and Matts Myhrman who
together forged the first SB code in Arizona in the early-mid 1990¹s, and to
David again for speaking so convincingly on behalf of the current proposed
code at the recent hearing in Chicago.  If you read his description of what
he said, you¹ll see that he simply told the compelling truth about the most
relevant issues.  It¹s one of many things David does so well.  It¹s nice
when the compelling truth prevails (at least for now).

Thanks David, and thanks to all.  And thanks to the enduring spirit of
strawbale!

Martin

PS - For a pre-IGCC history of this SB code, see my GSBN post on Dec. 1,
2009.  Reviewing that e-mail might also be used as a natural aid to help you
fall asleep.  However, for me it is a riveting drama (sometimes moving at
the pace of a melting glacier . . . actually that¹s happening quite quickly
these days!)