[GSBN] SB Overhangs (was Big News!)

Andy Horn andy at ecodesignarchitects.co.za
Wed Aug 25 20:36:47 UTC 2010

Hi Martin

I certainly don't envy those trying to create a 1 size fits all
international building code that balances freedom of design and place for
innovation with the specifics of good building practice. Anyhow to add some
further food for thought.

In answering questions about what to do with multi storey designs, I always
find history to be such a valuable tool when it comes to looking at various
design responses.

The vernacular architecture of Japan has evolved a very sensible
architectural style when it comes to protecting their thin little earth
plastered wattle and daub structures. Numerous numbers of these structures
still exist with some are many hundreds of years old, with some being even 3
or 4 storeys high of earth plaster!! The roofs are often but not always
hipped, affording good overhangs all around and in the case of multi storey
buildings each floor has its own min roof around it like skirts..so shedding
the rain at each level. In the case of gabled wall ends, all the openings
have min roofs over them. Other times the clay wattle and daub is given a
basic plaster and then an external timber siding rather than more plaster is
used. Effectively parapet walls are generally avoided so the roof always
closes over the top of a wall. Even their boundary walls, which are usually
of more solid packed earth and are typically earth plastered, all have mini
roofs over the tops of the walls ..usually 1 layer of beautiful crafted fire
clay tiles overhanging either side with a ridge cap in the centre. Their
plastered walls are also broken into panels with expressed timber framing,
so that the plaster surfaces are broken down into manageable sizes that can
be plastered to absolute perfection and generally present much fewer
problems with cracking.

I am not familiar with the extent or wording of the code, so I may be
speaking out of context but generally I would be worried about being overly
prescriptive about how one solves a problem ....especially where officials
can take a narrow interpretation of a code and there may be ways and new
products that have not been thought of yet that may offer alternate
solutions? While I agree having roof overhangs is best practice and I have
not done otherwise, it may be wiser that one set about defining what one is
trying to do that a roof overhang is doing.i.e. not letting water get in
from the top being the most critical clearly... or is one trying to give the
wall some degree of protection from rain hitting it by using an overhang as
well? Because outright protection I don't believe is practical or even
necessary. I think the degree or amount of overhang is more of a regional
thing that is even specific to the exact context of the site of the
building. the intensity of rain that is potentially hitting a wall and the
direction that it comes (rain does not always come from above) are clearly
important factors to try and understand and respond to and will vary from
place to place.

Context will change things and how one designs in relation to the context
...so I would imagine some of what the code needs to address would be how
design may respond differently in relation to the amount of rain, wind
direction, wind driven rain (if applicable), rain intensity, when it rains
in relation to how cold or hot it is, so one understands how quickly or
otherwise rain may be able to dry out again. The position of ones overhangs
and rain buffers (pergolas, shade devices etc) and use of rain screens may
be of more importance depending on where and how big one designing..the rain
here in the Cape is typically winter rainfall that is wind driven almost
always coming from the North west..and in some cases comes in horizontally
especially along the coast. In these cases one has to look at incorporating
siding over the bales and rain screens on the exposed sides to help shield
the rain..and in certain cases I will avoid using straw in the parts where
it is too at risk..so I rarely end up with a building with 100% of its walls
being in straw bale.

Best

Andy Horn

ECO DESIGN - Architects & Consulatants

6th floor, 79 on Roeland, 79 Roeland St.

8001, CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA

Tel: 07 21 462 1614, fax 07 21 461 3198

website: www.ecodesignarchitects.co.za

  _____