[GSBN] re tying half bales

David Arkin, AIA david at arkintilt.com
Thu Oct 29 14:49:18 UTC 2009

Hi All:

Having hosted two bale-raisings in the past two months, we've tied a
number half bales lately.  The method described is the one we use,
though sometimes I'll just use a single loop knot.

I've found the key to my own stamina and that of others is to mix up
the jobs, for both myself and all participants, so no one is doing any
particular activity for an extended period of time.  A long potluck
lunch is also good for recovery.

And, as always, I am reminded that designs that minimize the need for
half and custom bales are prudent.

Cheers,

David

On Oct 29, 2009, at 6:52 AM, Rikki Nitzkin wrote:

> I am in agreement with  chug. The method you use is the one I have
> used for years and I have had no problems, nor people unable to do
> it well. I think you must have a tendonitis or something similar
> which makes it difficult.
>
> Maybe you could try compressing the bale with a trucker's strap so
> that when you re-tie you don't have to compress, just make the knot.
> It is much slower, but should work if your arm doesn't!
>
> take care,
> Rikki
>

> El 29/10/2009, a las 12:19, Chug escribió:
>
>> Hi Carol,
>>
>> I've been tying and teaching custom bale making that way for years
>> and have
>> never had any problems, or in teaching SB have I encountered anyone
>> else who
>> has.
>> Maybe you have some localised old injury that is agravated by this
>> sort of
>> movement?
>>

>> bale on
>> Chug
>> Chug at strawbale-building.co.uk
>> http://www.strawbale-building.co.uk
>> .

*  *  *  *  *
Arkin Tilt Architects
Ecological Planning & Design

David Arkin, AIA, Architect
LEED Accredited Professional
CA #C22459/NV #5030

1101 8th St. #180, Berkeley, CA  94710
510/528-9830
www.arkintilt.com

"There is no way to peace. Peace is the way."
— A. J. Muste