[GSBN] Thermal performance of sb

Bohdan Dorniak bdco at adam.com.au
Thu Oct 1 02:54:50 UTC 2009

H i Joyce
I had an enquiry from Masters student from Australia regarding thermal
performance of strawbale - are you aware of any studies that could help
him??
 I've pointed him in the direction of Bruce King's book.

By the way how are you?? I would love to catch up with you sometime.

Copy of his letter below

Dear Bohdan Dorniak and Co.

I am writing to you in response you the talk that was presented by Bohdan
Dorniak during the Green Building and Design Conference (Melbourne)on Straw
Bales as an alternative green building material. As an undergraduate
engineering student at the University of New South Wales completing a
honours thesis on straw bales I found your talk very interesting.

It seems that straw is a readily used green material in your designs. I
wanted to contact you to request some information relating to straw bales.
My thesis currently explores the thermal performance of a straw bale
constructed community hall in Fairfield (south west of Sydney). Using this
community hall as a case study I will also conduct a Life Cycle Assessment
on the straw bale as a feasible building material and then reflect on the
lack of recognition of it in holistic sustainability rating tools in
Australia, such as Green Star.

I was wondering with your years of experience with the building material if
you have come across any similar studies?

I am keen to discuss the experiences you have with straw bale and the
technical aspects of it. If you like to contact me, you can via email or
phone.