[GSBN] earthquake-proof adobe walls‏

Bruce King ecobruce at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 18 21:48:42 UTC 2009

Hi, everyone.  I've been immersed in this subject for the past four
years as I've written an ASTM standard (now nearly complete), and
studied the large stack of technical papers and field reports by a
small group of engineers and builders from all over the world.  I
generally agree with everything that's been said on this listserve,
with a few additions & corrections:

1) fibers make stronger bricks, but not necessarily better walls.
Weak bricks will ALWAYS give a weak wall, but a strong wall requires
strong bricks, thin, well-bonded mortar joints, and good workmanship.

2) fiber -- that is, tensile reinforcing -- is crucial to getting any
amount of seismic safety.  You want reinforcing wherever the wall
tends to crack, especially wall corners and openings, and especially
around the top (the "crown beam" Lorenzo referred to, also called a
top beam, collar beam, bond beam, or ring beam)

3) mesh, whether outside or inside the wall, serves to hold everything
together even when it does crack, thus keeping pieces of wall from
falling off and bonking you in the head.  The basket effect.

4) earthen buildings are really bad in earthquakes, because they are
heavy, soft, and brittle.  Three things you don't want.  But people
build with earth because it's cheap and available, so we're working
out how to make it safer -- primarily with tensile mesh and reinforcing.

5) the much-vaunted barbed wire reinforcing system for earthbag houses
is as yet completely unproven for carrying any, especially seismic,
loads, and in my opinion is just deceptively bad.  I know this from
bitter experience, having gone over Nader Khalili's tests 12 years ago
in excruciating detail, and trying to get Nader, Iliona, or their
engineer to explain or fill in the missing parts.  They couldn't, and
I see all of that earthbag testing as badly conceived, designed,
executed and reported.  I don't want to posthumously slam Nader, just
suppress an overblown and unpromising technology.  We could never get
our earthbag domes to stop leaking, either.  Phooey.

So build with earth, baleheads, and enjoy it!  But don't kid yourself
-- an earth wall is not a thermal insulator, and is very hard to make
safe in an earthquake.

Thanks,

Bruce "dirtbag" King
(415) 987-7271