[GSBN] earthquake-proof adobe walls

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Sun Aug 16 22:13:00 UTC 2009

"Earthquake-proof" is a misnomer for the discussion on the earthbag
list, which was triggered by video on increasing the survival rate of
people living in adobe houses in earthquake zones.  We are a long way
from making anything earthquake "proof".  I would argue that the
science and engineering of more seismically-resistant adobe design
and construction techniques are in disagreement with many statements
in that list's recent postings.

I'm unclear why Bruce didn't give a little more guidance on
researching the subject.  Perhaps there is a subtle clue in his
message, that I haven't deciphered.  Those interested in Googling on
this topic might start with the name, "Marcial Blondet."  He is one
of the professors at the Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú who
has been working on the question of improving earthquake
survivability for those who live in adobe structures in seismic
areas, which includes a significant fraction of the world's
population.  I saw him speak at the 2007 Adobe Conference in El Rito,
New Mexico, and I think he is a very impressive guy.  I think he and
Bruce have done some amount of collaboration on earth building
research and standards.

Marcial and his collaborators are trying to come up with ways of
building that will save as many lives as possible, in places with
very low incomes and very limited access to complex materials and
seismic expertise.  It's very important work.  Their focus is saving
lives, not saving buildings, although there is an obvious
relationship between the two.  The difference that I think has been
misunderstood on the other list, is that the researchers don't expect
many more houses to be useable after an earthquake.  They just want
the inhabitants to remain alive.  It's sort of like the airbag in a
car.  The airbag isn't reusable, and it doesn't protect the car, it
just protects the occupant.

Most of us are starting/living in different places with different
circumstances, and that leads to different choices.  Many of us would
like to find ways that increase the chances for our houses to survive
somewhat stronger earthquakes, while remaining in usable condition.
The welded wire mesh used in California for seismic reasons has some
technical advantages over the plastic mesh that Marcial has suggested
for mass housing in Peru.  It just costs a bit more.  Cost is a
paramount issue for his concerns, whereas most of us are ready and
able to spend a little more for superior performance.

Darcey Donovan's work on increasing earthquake resistance for
low-budget strawbale buildings in Pakistan and Marcial's work with
adobe use some similar techniques.

I hope of this answers some of your questions and concerns, Joyce.

Derek

--On Sunday, August 16, 2009 1:13 PM -0700 Bruce King