[GSBN] prefab strawbale

cmagwood at kos.net cmagwood at kos.net
Mon Aug 3 02:16:20 UTC 2009

I think the transportation side of things would depend on the particular
case. For this project, the sand, plaster ingredients and bales all came
from the south end of the city, and our site is a few miles north of town.
So it could be argued that we actually saved on transportation by having
the three separate trucks all making the short trip to the warehouse, then
combining all the materials onto one truck for the remainder of the
journey.

The beauty of this prefab system is that it doesn't take a "factory" to
make the panels. It takes some basic construction tools and a big empty
room. If EE for transportation is a huge concern, then setting up in a
good location could actually reduce rather than increase the total, as I
think it did for us this year.

And how about the reduced EE for not needing scaffolding and all the
plaster pumping/mixing equipment that gets driven to the site? And the
workers who travel to the site over a number of days (typically 5-6 people
for 5-6 days for our crew)? We reduce all of that, too.

So the number game can, as always, go in many directions. I don't think it
goes far enough in the wrong direction to make it a deciding factor for
doing or not doing prefab.

Cheers,

Chris