[GSBN] prefab strawbale - pinning

Andy Horn andy at ecodesignarchitects.co.za
Sat Aug 1 18:57:36 UTC 2009

Despite some fearsome winds here in Cape Town, our weather is generally a
lot kinder than in England and Canada's I would assume, where you would
rather be active inside for most of the year.

So not to judge but I would agree that pre-fab is 99% of the time going to
be a much higher embodied energy that building on site. With all our straw
bale projects we have always sourced our clay and our sand from very
close/closest to the site and half the time directly from the site itself,
so I would say the transport factor would increase heavily in pre-fab
scenarios. Also the size of the components/modules would mean specialized
heavy duty kind of transport with large bed and crane etc.

On another tack Bale dipping is a kind of prefabrication
(see:http://www.ecodesignarchitects.co.za/eco/index.php?option=com_gallery2&
Itemid=44&g2_itemId=2406)....in that the initial clay soil plaster key is
done on the ground with the plaster side lying flat. Just before the dip
coat starts to dry, one reassembles the bales in between a frame, so that by
the time the bales are up again they are practically plastered. The finish
coats are simplified and walls rock solid.

It was mentioned that the Balers in the US no longer bother pinning their
bales unless a building code necessitates it. Are you no longer fining it
necessary to pin because you are doing structural mesh reinforced plasters
and find it unnecessary...or because you are doing a lot of load bearing
with heavy strapping so find it not necessary?

We still pin our bales, though not from the bottom any more as this is in my
opinion/experience unnecessary and I would say indeed unwise as it can only
encourage condensation.

Andy Horn