[GSBN] prefab strawbale

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Fri Jul 31 20:42:37 UTC 2009

--On Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:09 AM -0400 cmagwood at kos.net wrote:

> In terms of transportation... all the bales, lumber, sand and masonry
> ingredients get shipped from a source to a job site. Whether those
> materials come to the "factory" first, get assembled and then
> continue on to the job site seems pretty minor.

I think what you are doing is great, Chris, but I contest your
statement above on transportation.  When materials are shipped first to
a factory that is independent of the job site, the metaphor of the
materials "continuing on to the job site" is misleading.  Each case
would be different, depending on the locations of the sources, the
factory, and the job site.  But doubling the amount of embodied energy
due to transportation, loading and unloading, is a good average guess.
And Bruce King recently reported that the proportional embodied energy
of moving dense materials like earth, concrete, and sand, is very
significant.

Having the factory at the job site, as you mention, avoids this extra
embodied energy.  I am eager to learn more about your methods.

Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100