[GSBN] SB Support for St Paul Architect

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Wed Jun 24 19:26:48 UTC 2009

I agree with RT that we don't know how capable this architect is, nor
anything else about him so far-- except that he is gathering
information and seeking help from some of the most knowledgeable
people, such as David Eisenberg (probably stemming from Pete's
recommendation).  Similarly, we don't know anything about most of the
designers and builders who undertake an SB project in thousands of
locations across the world.

It would be a great service to every designer, if members of GSBN could
provide a quick review of plans at a stage when changes can still be
made.

Derelict

--On Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:26 PM -0400 RT <ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca>
wrote:

> Unless the professor has had experience (and a history of a decade or
> more) designing and building superinsulated structures for Cold
> Climates,  how do we know that he won't repeat the mistakes of the
> well-meaning  others before him ?
>
> This is not intended as a slam of the fellow but rather, recognition
> of  the fact that well-insulated building envelopes are less
> forgiving of  errors in detailing than "typical" buildings.
>
> I mention a "decade" of experience because if problems as a result of
> detailing are going to become apparent, they may not show in the
> first few  years but should do so within 10.
>
> Perhaps how we might best support the professor is to have him submit
> his  design proposal(s) for review and critiquing by the members of
> the GSBN  List before it gets sent out there into the Real World.
> This would help to  minimise the chances of SBC getting more "black
> eyes" in that region as a  result of SB building failures.
>

> --
> === * ===
> Rob Tom
> Kanata, Ontario, Canada
> < A r c h i L o g i c  at  ChaffY a h o o  dot  C a >
> (manually winnow the chaff from my edress in your reply)

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico