[GSBN] SB Support for St Paul Architect

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Wed Jun 24 17:26:33 UTC 2009

Derelict wrote:

>  an adjunct professor at the University of Minnesota and eco-designer,
> hopes to design and build with strawbale in the Twin Cities.

Unless the professor has had experience (and a history of a decade or
more) designing and building superinsulated structures for Cold Climates,
how do we know that he won't repeat the mistakes of the well-meaning
others before him ?

This is not intended as a slam of the fellow but rather, recognition of
the fact that well-insulated building envelopes are less forgiving of
errors in detailing than "typical" buildings.

I mention a "decade" of experience because if problems as a result of
detailing are going to become apparent, they may not show in the first few
years but should do so within 10.

Perhaps how we might best support the professor is to have him submit his
design proposal(s) for review and critiquing by the members of the GSBN
List before it gets sent out there into the Real World. This would help to
minimise the chances of SBC getting more "black eyes" in that region as a
result of SB building failures.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom