[GSBN] SB support for St Paul Architect

strawnet at aol.com strawnet at aol.com
Wed Jun 24 15:47:01 UTC 2009

 Just an fyi, I had an e-mail exchange with Lucas a couple of days ago and referred him to TLS among other things. Below is what I wrote to him - it might be helpful to others as well, though probably not new info for many on GSBN. He wrote back to say that he had made a similar argument to little avail, and that he had found an Oregon building official willing to talk with his officials. He also said he has Bruce King's book but would look for another copy to give to the building department. Joyce, if you do talk to Lucas or write to him, let him know that Oregon has for years had straw bale provisions in their state building code. Here's what I wrote:

================
Lucas,

Unfortunately, I know (although only vaguely remember the details)
about this bit of history - in fact, we had overtly tried to educate
the two people who were doing that work because we saw their designs
and the literature they were putting out and pointed out to them at the
time that what they were doing wasn't going to work. It didn't stop
them from going forward and creating the worst case scenario for all
who followed.

 Part of my strategy when dealing with code
officials in the aftermath of such things is to point out that hundreds
of thousands of stick frame buildings have suffered the same fate and
that hasn't stopped us from building millions of them - bad design,
poor construction and detailing will cause the failure of any building
material or sy
stem - and shouldn't be viewed as inherent in the system.
We knew early on that what these folks were doing was going to fail.
And the reason you can't make things foolproof is that are fools are so
clever and persistent!

 I would suggest, first of all, to get
two copies of the book "Design of Straw Bale Buildings" by Bruce King
of the Ecological Building Network - www.ecobuildnetwork.org - and published by Green Building Press - www.greenbuildingpress.com
— one for you and your contractor and one to actually give to the
building department. It is, far and away, the most comprehensive
technical book on straw bale design and construction and the section on
moisture was written by Dr. John Straube, a global leader in building
science who teaches at the University of Waterloo and consults all over
the world on high to low tech moisture and building science issues. It
provides all the technical info you should have, and it should also
satisfy the building department as well.

 You might also go to The Last Straw website - www.thelaststraw.org
- and buy a couple of back issues - particularly issues #53 and #54
which are about codes and research and testing - available as
downloadable PDF files for $6 each - http://online.thelaststraw.org/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2

The bottom line is that we knew enough to know that what was being done
in Minneapolis back in the early 90s was going to be a disaster and we
were right. We have learned a huge amount in the intervening year
s and
there are thousands of sb buildings around the world in all kinds of
climates that perform very well.

 If you continue to have problems with this, I'm willing to speak with your officials too.

 I hope this helps.

 Best,

 David Eisenberg
 Director