[GSBN] Fwd: Lifecycle Building Challenge

Mark Piepkorn mark at buildinggreen.com
Sat May 16 16:17:23 UTC 2009

This one is U.S.-centric... an EPA-sponsored
competition for professionals and students
emphasizing design-for-disassembly-and-reuse. No
cash awards, but some juicy recognition to boost careers.

>From: VanGendt.Saskia at epamail.epa.gov
>
>>Design competition for professionals and students.
>>
>>The Lifecycle Building Challenge is sponsored
>>by the U. S. Environmental Protection Agency,
>>the American Institute of Architects, and West Coast Green.
>>
>>www.lifecyclebuilding.org
>>There is a new product category this year!
>>
>>The competition is focused on design for
>>adaptability, material reuse, and minimizing
>>lifecycle impacts from products.  Please
>>contact us if you have any questions!  info at lifecyclebuilding.org

A bit more info from the website
http://www.lifecyclebuilding.org/entry-info.php

Registration and participation is free. Submission deadline is August 30 2009.

Lifecycle building is designing buildings to
facilitate disassembly and material reuse to
minimize waste, energy consumption, and
associated greenhouse gas emissions. Also known
as design for disassembly and design for
deconstruction, lifecycle building describes the
idea of creating high-performance buildings today
that are stocks of resources for the future.

* Create designs that facilitate local building materials reuse
* Consider the full lifecycle of buildings and
materials­from resource extraction through
occupancy and, finally, deconstruction and reuse
* Focus on quality and creativity of designs and concepts
* Develop strategies that maximize materials recovery
* Reduce the overall embodied energy and
greenhouse gas emissions of building materials through reuse
* Decrease environmental and economic costs
* Address real world issues

Enter the third year of the Lifecycle Building
Challenge competition, to shape the future of
green building and facilitate local building
materials reuse. Submit your innovative project,
design, or idea for reducing to conserve
construction and demolition materials and reduce
greenhouse gas emissions by designing buildings
for adaptability and disassembly.

Categories:

Building - a whole building designed for disassembly and material reuse
In addition, building entries can highlight any of the following focus areas:
* existing buildings
* local material sourcing

Product - a building product that facilitates
design for disassembly and material reuse
In addition, product entries can highlight any of the following focus areas:
* Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy
* Carbon Management
* Water Efficiency & Quality
* Material Optimization
* Public and Ecosystem Health Protection

Professionals may submit both built and design work.
Students may submit only design work.
In addition, entrants may also register for Outstanding Achievement Awards:
* Best Greenhouse Gas Reduction
* Best Green Job Creation
* Best School Design

The award is primarily - but not solely -
recognition (which, of course, can pay off in spades)...
http://www.lifecyclebuilding.org/awards.php

(Disclosure: I'm on the volunteer judicial panel this year.)

Mark Piepkorn
mark at buildinggreen.com
802-257-7300 x 104
BuildingGreen, LLC
Publisher of Environmental Building News,
Green Building Products, and GreenSpec.
Available in print and electronically.
www.buildinggreen.com