[GSBN] Straw Bale House Fire

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Thu Apr 2 23:44:54 UTC 2009

There are several problems with the anecdotal information around this
event.  One is that according to the mother of the homeowner, quoted by
Mark Piepkorn, most of the details published in the press are wrong.
Presumably, anecdotes in the press will have more impact than more
accurate information shared on a small scale.

The mother says that the stick frame part of the structure lasted about
15 minutes, while the strawbale section lasted for hours.  I think this
difference in wall survival times points up a problem that is likely to
distort most anecdotal descriptions- comparisons will be made between
very different fires and different stages of the fire.  When someone
from the Boulder County Rural Fire Department says that stick frame is
easy, because you just peel off the drywall or siding, and don't harm
the structural members, that sounds like it would have had to be within
the first fifteen minutes of the fire we are discussing.  When this
person says that the bales were a pain in the butt, these are bales
that are still standing after some hours of a hot fire.  According to
the mother's description.

So the person from the fire department is mentally equating his
previous experience with stick frame fires, handled very soon after the
fire breaks out, with a smoldering strawbale wall that had lasted
through much more severe conditions.  The SB wall probably had little
or no damage at 15 minutes, in this fire.  But this anecdotal reaction
is normal.  A firefighter will think about the problems that they face
in differing circumstances, not controlled comparisons in equal
conditions.

Firefighters have a tough job in so many ways.  They use very
destructive methods to stop very destructive fires. They want to make
sure that every spark is dead out.  It's dangerous to do otherwise.
They have been trained to fight fires in houses very different from
strawbale.  The smoldering straw in a strawbale wall allows time for a
considered, nuanced approach.  In the cases that David and Catherine
described, the smoldering straw could be dealt with hours or days
later.  Pete removed the smoldering straw by hand.

The piercing nozzle that Don Fisher describes doesn't sound like the
subtle tool that I would want to use on my strawbale house.  It looks
like it would inject a large amount of water quickly into a hotspot
behind the plaster.  I imagine that this would require the subsequent
removal and replacement of one bale on each side of the hotspot, and
all the bales below the hotspot (where gravity will guide the water),
due to water damage and mold concerns.  This would be pretty
destructive, especially compared to pulling out a few handfuls of
charred straw.

We have lots to test and learn on these questions.

Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek at unm.edu

--On Wednesday, April 1, 2009 8:27 PM -0600 john rehorn