[GSBN] 200-yr-old straw houses in Europe?

Robert Tom ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Sun Jun 1 19:07:59 UTC 2008

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 Duck Foo'd wrote:
[snipped for brevity]
> In the book Sustainable Architecture White Papers (Chelsea Green
> Publ.,y2k)
> ... says...  In Europe,one can find houses built out of straw thatare
> over 200 years old."
>
> It doesn't specifically say 200-year-old *baled*-straw structures.
> (Automatic balers weren't around until the 1800s, of course, though
> there were hand-balers prior to that... but never in widespread use,
> as far as I can tell.)
>
> I'm trying to figure out why and how this claim started - if there's
> some kernel of misunderstood truth, or if it's just cut from whole
> cloth.
> There are similar claims made in cordwood-building circles, though
> nobody can cite actual examples.

Mixed metaphors aside, while I agree that the 200 yr-old Euro SB house
claim is probably mangled hearsay, given that some of us on these lists
are print near a century years old (as opposed to write near), the claim
of 200 year-old cordwood buildings doesn't strike me as being overly
implausible.

In my part of the world, in my immediate neighbourhood (ie across the
road), where there are numerous still-occupied log homes and log barns
built by the original settlers to this area, one finds a surprising number
of old buildings where underneath portions of failed claddings such as
stucco or board siding, lies a cordwood structure.

I've repaired and/or restored timber-framed bank barns that were a century
or more old and the rusticity of the cordwood structures (and their
foundations) is like comparing burlap sacking to silk cloth.

While rusticity in and of itself is certainly no indication of age (some
modern-day buildings that I've seen are pretty "rustic") or that the
cordwood structures pre-date the arguably more sophisticated
timber-frames, the history of original (farming) settlement in this area
would support the possibility of these cordwood buildings being close to
200 years old.

Although not related to the preceding, just on the next sideroad up from
me there is a farmhome that underwent "modernisation" a couple of years
ago. From the road it appeared to be a typical 1800's double or
triple-brick storey-and-half, centre-dormer Ontario farmhouse.

But the owner took down the brick to reveal a very weathered vertical pine
board siding and when that was pulled off, a lime-chinked log structure.

And curiously, that "modernised" farmhouse is now clad with a new PVC
vinyl siding. [sigh]

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom