[GSBN] GSBN:Straw and insects

Laura Bartels laura at greenweaverinc.com
Wed May 28 23:05:15 UTC 2008

Dear community of sb'rs,

Continuing on this subject of straw and insects, I have gotten yet
another email about a project I was involved in in Pennsylvania saying
that they are still dealing with a moth infestation. It is an
industrial manufacturing facility that is part straw bale. The latest
email said..."it seems to be worsening.  The moths have been
identified as a common grain moth and they are everywhere.  They don't
respond to sex traps and we have just set out a blue light trap.  It
is early, but doesn't seem to be working either.  Other than tenting
the building and using nasty chemicals, the exterminator is out of
ideas.  We also just got a huge crop of nats that he says is tied to
the straw."

The moths first appeared, along with a spider, in the truth window.
They had initially left one top of wall unsealed, which when that was
realized, was plastered in hopes that that might solve the issue in
the building.

I am honestly not sure what to tell them and hope someone else may
have successfully dealt with a similar issue. We discussed various
options, all of which have drawbacks.

On the other hand, the project has been very successful in other ways,
particularly in introducing interior earthen plasters using site soil
with a large plaster subcontractor. They loved the material, and hope
to do more. The straw bale was the first in the area. The project is
seeking LEED Gold status.

Thanks for any thoughts on this,
Laura

Laura Bartels