[GSBN] Ideas on what to do if there is no clay??

Andy Horn andy at ecodesignarchitects.co.za
Fri May 23 12:48:08 UTC 2008

Hi Sven & Sarah
I would wonder how sustainable coral is as a building material..? I know of
a project on some islands where they discouraged the use of coral and
developed a rammed earth method infilling with a volcanic rock in a matrix
of volcanic ash (which is polonzanic...so you can use it to partially
substitute your cement), sand and cement...not sure if you have those
ingredients? Have a copy of the building manual if you need it.
Otherwise.....

How about trying  sand bag construction...I developed a system for a project
in Zululand where all we had in the local area was sand and timber. So if
you have timber (saplings or cut timber) or bamboo you can make up vertical
ladder frames which you position on a ground plate at approx. 900mm centres
with a horizontal ladder-frame ring beam at 2,4m above finished floor
level...then you infill with bags of sand....mesh over and plaster. You can
sew up long thin pillow cases (create some work in your local community)
with suitable available bag cloth (stuff they make medical masks etc out of,
woven polypropylene etc).
You can see pictures of this construction method on our web site  HYPERLINK
"http://www.ecodesignarchitects.co.za" www.ecodesignarchitects.co.za under
gallery under Twinstreams Environmental Centre Staff Housing. I could also
send you the building manual I developed for this building system if you are
interested.

Kind regards
Andy Horn (Cape Town, South Africa)